Thursday, June 12, 2008

Giving back and Paying it forward


3 months ago I made the difficult decision to either move out or live in an apartment without utilities. Though the caveman lifestyle seemed appealing in its own way (I'm eating a caveman diet, why not go the whole way?), I immediately began my search for a new place to live until Hobbit and I moved to Georgia.

Since then Gamemaster invited me into his home. He already has a family, including the sweetest chow chow I have ever met, a dog named Bear because of his often shaggy hairdoo. Every Sunday Gamemaster shows a new horror movie, sometimes an A-movie, sometimes a B-movie, but more often a film so low in quality you can only sit in amazement until the credits.

Take the film at right for example. Where else would the Son of God return early to vanquish the hordes of vampires overrunning the earth? Where else would he do it in song and dance? Indeed, this film shows Christ making the ultimate sacrifice to save the world in style, and for those of the more zealous among us, he does it within the first 20 minutes.

Since staying here, I've seen Gamemaster and his long-time girlfriend get married. I've seen their daughter learn to walk. I've seen Bear get mauled by some dog in the neighborhood that will certainly die if I can find out which one it was!!!!!

They don't have a lot of space, but I have my own room and feel grateful for his generosity. I have told him thanks and insisted he allow me to do SOMETHING to repay him while I stay here. He told me no, though. Years ago, he had no place to live during high school. He resorted to eating out of garbage cans to survive, sleeping in cold corners, bathing what he could in public bathrooms, living a life many would not consider an option, all the while going to high school, determined to graduate no matter his circumstances. During that time, a teacher found out about his situation, saw his tenacity and rented an apartment for him, gave him some weekly money to live on.

The gesture had a profound effect on Gamemaster. He says as long as someone is willing to take that step to complete the journey on their own, he has no problem giving them a lift on the way. He believes in paying it forward, not necessarily paying it back.

Even his wife insists on this generosity. I offered to do the dishes. She told me to leave them alone, that is her job.

But yesterday, aha! With groceries at an all time high cost, she informed me they were almost out of toilet paper. Not to pass up this opportunity, I bought them the biggest package of TP their house could fit!

Sit back at ease, my temp roomies, the TP is taken care of for now. And at the end of the day, what more could anyone ask for?



1 comment:

Megan said...

I think the idea of paying it forward is a good one (although the same cannot be said for the eponymous film). I'm glad you could find a way to be helpful; I know I always feel satisfied when I can do such a thing.

Get Paid to Review My Post