Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I gave up my cat!

A couple of years ago, a dark black kitten showed up at our doorstep. Like most pre-teen women these days, she came to us fully developed and pregnant. Whether or not we wanted her to stay was irrelevant. She set up house beneath our porch and gave birth.

We gave away all of the kittens except one, the scrawniest, weakest runt of the litter. Unfortunately, he died soon after, but that is another story.

She had another name, Jetee, but after seeing her kittens I always thought of her as Momma.

We could all take a lesson in confidence from Momma. If she didn't feel like moving out of the street, she would stare down an oncoming car until it stopped. The car always obliged.

Well, when I left the old apartment my brother and I agreed Hobbit and I could take Momma when she and I moved. Until that time, he would take care of her.

But recently, he sent me a message saying he could not find her. Horrors!!!!!!

Then he sent me a message saying he found her staying with the family next door. They wanted very much to keep her if I would let them.

Again, horrors I say, horrors!!!

I spent the next day mulling over the decision. I love that cat and her unconditional affection. But after discussing it with Hobbit, she informed me most apartments in Athens will not allow for an inside pet without a huge deposit, and most will not allow for an outside pet at all due to health code violations (WTF?!).

I would pay to keep her inside, but momma is definitely an inside cat. She needs to be able to crouch next to a tree, wait for a squirrel to come close so she can grab it and play with it... only to rip its head off when she tires of it.

To this family, I give Momma. I offer this youtube video link as an ode to her.

No comments:

Get Paid to Review My Post